We’ve built Qovery to help developers and businesses to focus on the product they are building instead of managing their Cloud infrastructure. Our customers often tell us Qovery is the Platform-as-a-Service solution they would have made for their company. This page explains why so many users compare Qovery to Terraform and what are the similarities and differences.
Qovery is built on top of Terraform and extends its capabilities!
In a nutshell
Here are the key similarities and differences between Qovery and Terraform.
|Built for...||Startups, scale-ups, enterprises||Startups, scale-ups, enterprises|
|Built for DevOps||Yes||Yes|
|Built for developer||Yes||No|
|Designed to deploy apps||Yes||No|
|Native support of databases||Yes||No|
|GitOps CD support||Yes||Yes|
|Open-source||Partially (deployment engine)||Partially|
|Support||Live, Community, and Dedicated||Community and Dedicated ($$$)|
When to choose Terraform
- You need a fine-grained control of your Cloud infrastructure.
- You want to better understand how the Cloud works.
- You have the time to experiment.
When to choose Qovery
- You need to deploy your apps on your AWS account as soon as possible.
- You need to focus on your business and spend time on what your product makes the difference.
- You plan to be the next unicorn ;) Qovery will help you to reach this milestone!
Why using Qovery?
Qovery runs on your AWS account
Qovery runs on your AWS account. The goal of Qovery is to simplify the access to the Cloud for any developer and company and speedup product market fit. Plug your AWS account into Qovery, and then you are ready to deploy your apps in just a few seconds! Qovery is installable on your AWS account in 20 minutes.
Qovery extends Terraform
Qovery focuses on the developer needs and provides full control to a DevOps team via a plugin system. To go further than that, Qovery generates Terraform and Helm files (familiar to DevOps) to deploy the infrastructure and the developers' apps. If the DevOps is not satisfied by the default configuration of Qovery, they can change it.
Cloud cost optimization
Qovery helps you to optimize your Cloud cost by
- Automatically turning off unused resources.
- Autoscale up and down your apps according to real usage.
- Reduce the number of dependencies - which leads to lower costs and problems.
Qovery lets you use your AWS credits
As Qovery runs on your AWS account, you are free to use your credits. We also want to support you and give you free access to Qovery (contact us), then you can start as soon as possible to focus on your business without having to pay a penny.
Qovery relies on the managed services provided by the Cloud provider. You have full control of the type of resources you want to allocate and put your hands on if required. Qovery (like Terraform) is transparent on how it works. See our open-source deployment engine.
Qovery is built for privacy
Qovery does not host your apps and your data. Your data are stored on your AWS account. Even your app logs are stored on your AWS account and encrypted. Privacy is the present, and the future; that's why Qovery is privacy proof by design.
No vendor lock-in
- Our deployment engine is open-source.
- Reversibility: Your apps run on your AWS account. If you are not satisfied with our product, we give you access to all generated configuration files (Terraform, Helm, and others) and keep running your infrastructure.
Do you have any question? Contact us now!